MCMS is always happy to accept resumes from exceptional, joyful and flexible people who wish to join our staff as openings may occur in the future. Interested candidates are invited to send a resume, cover letter and two letters of reference to
Summary of Position
The Business Manager is a member of the school’s administrative team, reporting directly to the Head of School (HOS). This position is an exempt, year-round, regular, full-time position.
The MCMS Business Manager coordinates the day-to-day business affairs of the school, oversees the physical needs of the facility, grounds, equipment, technology and vehicles, and manages the HR needs of the faculty and staff.
- Must hold at minimum a two-year degree in accounting, business/management, finance or other related field, with a solid understanding of non-profit accounting
- Must have advanced levels of experience with Quickbooks and Microsoft Excel
- Must successfully clear background, health and driver’s checks
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Oversees and performs all accounting functions
- Prepares families’ enrollment & tuition contracts, including management of tuition billing & collection
- Regularly prepares, audits, and analyzes financial statements & fiscal procedures
- Prepares, analyzes, forecasts and presents annual budget to HOS
- Ensures accurate record keeping, including student/family files in Quickbooks
- Ensures compliance with state and federal laws
- Addresses school constituents as needed
- Collaborates with CPA firm in completion of annual Form 990
- Attends Finance Committee meetings and works closely with the Treasurer of the Finance Committee in the review of current accounting policies and the implementation of new policies
- Responsible for tracking new vendors and collecting appropriate paperwork for year-end filings (1099s & W9s)
- Establishes plan and oversees facility management for the building/grounds by arranging and supervising contracted services
- Addresses emergency building needs
- Ensures compliance with all safety regulations, including coordination of various safety drills and maintaining appropriate records
- Provides first-level of services for technology and coordinates additional support as needed
- Recruits volunteers for building projects and events
- Attends Building & Grounds Committee meetings and works closely with the Chair of the Committee
- Works with HOS to ensure orientation/training of staff
- Monitors and maintains staff files, including preparation of annual employment contracts
- Audits and processes payroll
- Manages employee benefit programs, including health and dental insurance, COBRA, sick days, and other related items
- Researches human resources and employment trends regularly
- Manages all business insurance and reporting to include: Renewal of all Insurance Policies, Report of Incident, First Report of Injury and Workman’s Compensation
Non-Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Serves as a key leader of the school’s administrative team
- Performs other duties as assigned by the HOS
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Business judgment
- Financial knowledge
- Technical skills
- Leadership ability
- Problem solving skills
MCMS is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of family structure, age, race, ethnicity, color, sex, creed, disability, political persuasion, national origin or ancestry, sexual orientation, military service, or organizational membership, or any other status protected by law.
MCMS seeks substitute teachers to assist in programs from toddler through junior high (15 months to 14 years). The ideal candidate has some experience working with children of all ages. Montessori knowledge and experience are a big plus: an interest in learning about Montessori education is a must! Candidates should possess self-direction, patience, a positive outlook, and the ability to collaborate with others. Please send your resume, cover letter and two letters of reference to Vicki McCarthy at
General Information About MCMS
For over 40 years, MCMS has warmly welcomed children from the greater Madison area. We are a vibrant and inclusive school community, located near the state capitol and the University of Wisconsin. The Madison/Middleton area is consistently ranked as a top community in which to live, work, play and raise a family. There are lakes every way you turn, beautifully changing seasons, and a bright and energetic population.
Come and join our community in our brand new, state-of-the-art school building, built specifically for our Montessori needs and located on a beautiful, pastoral property. Our non-profit school serves over 185 students, from 15 months to 14 years of age, in eight classrooms (1 Toddler, 3 Children’s House, 2 Lower Elementary, 1 Upper Elementary, and 1 Adolescent) guided by our committed, long-term, AMI trained faculty, who are supported by both an AMI trained Head of School and an AMI trained Director of Education. We are proud to be the only school in the state of Wisconsin which is fully accredited at all levels, Toddler through Upper Elementary.
MCMS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its admission policy or in employment on the basis of family structure, age, race, ethnicity, color, sex, creed, disability, political persuasion, national origin or ancestry, sexual orientation, military service, or organizational membership, or any other status protected by law.