Portrait of a Graduate
Graduates of MCMS become confident and compassionate individuals who develop the internal motivation to create and innovate as responsible members of their communities.
MCMS graduates are self-directed. They have been allowed to learn how to learn. They make choices in order to follow their interests, passions, and curiosities. They have developed deep concentration and focus and are motivated by their own drives rather than an external authority.
MCMS graduates are courageous in being themselves. They know that they are valued. They are self-aware and are comfortable in their own skins. They are self-assured. They are articulate people who can speak for themselves.
MCMS graduates are creative. They are curious, resourceful, problem solvers who have been allowed to explore, take risks and make mistakes. In doing so, they have learned how to formulate questions and solve problems. This allows them to think in novel and expansive directions.
MCMS graduates see the bigger picture. They have a desire to better themselves, their community and the world around them. They understand and enjoy being part of a community. They see themselves as part of a larger system and have been allowed to discover that all things are related.
MCMS graduates are good people. They are open to others’ points of view and have learned to listen and observe. They are empathetic and show a respect for all people and ideas.
Here’s what MCMS graduates have to say about their experiences…
“I love the Montessori curriculum and how it helped my children become strong, independent learners who care about others and want to participate in the world.”
~ Laura Anderson, parent of 2013, 2011 and 2009 MCMS graduates
“Montessori has taught me perspective to not only look at how I feel but to step back for a moment and to think about how others feel. I have learned to be a great leader, to take initiative, and to have confidence in the work that I do. Through all the presentations and the research, I have learned to be a great public speaker, to accept people for who they are, to not worry about small material things, and to look at the bigger picture. Most importantly, Montessori has taught me to love to learn and to have fun while learning. I am so glad to have had a learning experience that is different from others which has allowed me to grow as a person in so many ways.”
~ Camille Smith, MCMS graduate, Class of 2010
“After a great deal of research, we were convinced that an educational environment focused on the child and developing in that child a love of learning was the only way to go if you believed in your child and his future. [Our son] asks, “Why,” when others are simply falling in line; he sees opportunities for improvement when others simply shrug. He gives great weight to our advice but in the end decides for himself. . . . Our son became his own person [at MCMS]–testing assumptions, examining his environment and embracing the ideas of learning, compassion and justice.”
~ Nick Chiarkas, parent of a 2006 graduate who attended MCMS from toddler- 8th grade
Montessori Graduates of Distinction
An AMI Montessori education supports children as they learn to develop their full human potential by helping them “learn how to think.” Some of the most famous entrepreneurs and innovators of today have actively credited their success to the education they received in a Montessori environment. Some Montessori graduates of distinction include:
- Jeff Bezos: Founder of Amazon.com
- Sergey Brin and Larry Page: Co-founders of Google
- Jimmy Wales: Cofounder and promoter of Wikipedia
- Will Wright: Designer of the Sims video games
- Anne Frank: Renowned World War II diarist
- Katherine Graham: Owner/editor of The Washington Post
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Nobel prize winner for literature
- Sean “Diddy” Combs: Rapper and CEO of Bad Boy Records
- Julia Child: First world-famous television chef
- Helen Hunt: Academy Award-winning actress
- George Clooney: Academy Award-winning actor
- Dakota Fanning: Academy Award-nominated actress
- Chelsea Clinton: Daughter of former US President, Bill and Hillary Clinton
- Prince William and Prince Harry: Sons of the Prince of Wales
- Joshua Bell: American violinist
- Lea Salonga: Multi-awarded singer and Broadway actress
- David Blaine: Illusionist and magician
- T Berry Brazelton: Noted pediatrician and author